Popular College Station Gay Bar To Re-Open After Fire
(College Station , TX) The popular LGBT bar Halo went up in flames in late July of this year and has remained closed. But not for much longer as owner Jeff Harmon gets the popular club ready to rise from the ashes.
The two story club located at 121 N. Main St in Bryan, Tx caught fire in the early morning of July 18, 2015. The fire started on the second floor according to the fire marshals office from a faulty power strip. Much of the upstairs was destroyed, and the first floor, which hosts a television bar and lounge, had smoke and water damage.
“I didn’t know what to expect,” said general manager Michael Burleson about his reaction when he first saw the damage. “I didn’t think it would be as bad as it was, but when I went upstairs and saw what was there, I was devastated.” Burleson told The Eagle
Burleson said he has worked for Halo for 10 years, and was amazed at how a part of his life could be destroyed in just a matter of minutes. Burleson said he is optimistic about the future of Halo, however, despite the losses and temporary closure.
The first floor is undergoing repairs and is almost finished, Harmon said. Most of what still needs to be done on the first floor is cosmetic, though Sheetrock had to be replaced and much of the inside of the building is “stripped down to the studs.” Harmon anticipates the first floor will be ready to reopen for business within four to six weeks, and the second floor a month after that. According to The Eagle.
Harmon said he plans to schedule a soft opening for the downstairs portion of Halo, and then host a large grand-opening party once the second floor is ready to receive patrons.
“There is no club atmosphere like Halo,” Harmon said. “It’s the Rolls-Royce of clubs around here.”